Monday, August 18, 2014

Skeeter Doesn't Know Her Name!

I'm not kidding, I wish I was.  Do you know how much of a parent failure it is to own a horse for three months and then realize she doesn't know her name?

On Saturday, Jay's family was here to meet Copper and Skeeter was mugging his mom, so I tried to call her off.  It's not that she was ignoring me, because she didn't even flick an ear.

It dawned on me that she just hears human voices and comes to the fence.  It doesn't matter what is being said, she hears human voices and goes toward them.

I tried it out a couple of times.  Nope, does not know her name.  I'm such a bad mommy.

Luckily, I had already ordered some clicker training materials, so I know what we're going to work on: coming when called.



Mom and Bill were in town today and spent some time introducing the clicker.  She's not "getting" it yet, but she will, she's a smart cookie.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it took Shy a while to realize that Shy meant her. Now she will flick an ear when I call her, but she still ignores me. I am so excited that you are starting clicker training!

Shirley said...

Cookie being the key word there.....

Linda said...

Oh funny. Our posts do overlap a bit, don't they? So, I'm curious...do you think horses really know their names? I wrote about that last month because I wondered if they just know the tone you use to call their name.

Did you see the video of the guy who calls his horses and they come running from like a thousand miles a way and load themselves into the trailer all on their own? I figured he had to have used some grain to do that trick. I think if I fed my horses grain in the trailer they'd come running when I called, too, because they will kill themselves to get to grain.

I'll link back to your post if I can figure out how. I'm excited to read about your clicker journey! I'm sure it will go well and help establish a love and trust between you.