Thursday, April 17, 2014

Uncle Ranger

It's getting closer ...
and closer ...
and I'm getting a little nervous.

One of the things that I was worried about was adopting a horse who had been with a herd its whole life and bringing it "home" to a place with no other animals.  Elli's amazing and letting me use her property is really the only reason I'm able to embark on this new adventure. 

But I was afraid that the new horse would be lonely and would holler and race around and generally make a nuisance of itself.  Or worse, break out of the pen in search of its herd (that's what Mom's horse, Jesse, would do.  She would just go find her herd by herself, thankyouverymuch.).

I was seriously considering adopting a burro, too, just as a companion animal.  But what would I do with a burro?  They're cute little critters and I love their long ears, but I don't pack, so it would just be an eating/pooping pet for the new horse.

Mom and Bill were obviously thinking along the same lines, so Bill offered up Ranger to babysit for the first week or so, until the new one gets settled in and realizes I'm not a horse-eating monster.

Once we know when delivery day is, we'll decide when to bring Ranger down.  No more than a couple of days in advance because we want him to settle in, but not "claim" the space as his.

Two weeks from tomorrow is when we go to Canon City to pick out a horse, but no cameras/cell phones are allowed, so Bill vowed to create some of his "famous art" so everyone can get a sneak peek at the my future favorite child.

Hopefully, in three weeks, I'll have my new bundle of joy "home" and we can get to work :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very excited for you!

Allenspark Lodge said...

We're all getting pretty excited about this. I think Ranger will enjoy being 'an uncle' again; it suits him, although he was pretty adamant that he did not want left behind today! So not like him to be the one hollering. It made us laugh.
Bionic Cowgirl

Jenny said...

I can't wait to see pics and illustrations!