Wednesday, April 2, 2014

May 2nd is The Day

I got a call from the BLM today - they approved my application!

As soon as the elation hit, fear was right on elation's heels.  Oh my God, what am I going to do with a mustang?  I'm pretty good at figuring out the logistics of how to get the horse, but what am I going to do with the horse?  I'm trying not to freak out a bit, because I just got myself into a twenty-plus year relationship.  You know, it's the same kind of fear when you find out you're pregnant: excited and terrified all at the same time.

It's very much like bringing a human into the world: I want a horse who is a good citizen, with good manners.  A little bit adventurous, but well-behaved.  Independent enough not to need me for every little thing and able to make good decisions.  One I can take anywhere and not be embarrassed by their outbursts. 

I know what I expect out of a horse, but what really scares the hell out of me (just like it did when I had my kids) is that it's up to me to instill those values in a horse.  And just like when I had my kids, there's no one-size-fits-all manual to tell me how to do it.  Sure, there are lots of experts out there and lots of resources, but so many to choose from!

I didn't know how to parent, either, and I managed to get through it with three distinctly different personalities.  Any time I get too panicked about adopting a horse, would someone please remind me of that?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! You will do amazing with your new horse. Looking forward to all of your adventures :)

Mrs. Mom said...

Holy HELL that was FAST!!! Fricken amazing- SO EXCITED for you!!!!

Listen, Diva, I've been with you around horses. Girl, you're gonna be OK. It's a new journey and a new learning time. You and your new horse will, in time after getting to know one another, make one helluva team. Take things one step at a time- and you'll sort your way along quite well.

Have FAITH!!

Becky said...

I am so excited for you!

....And for me because I will be living vicarously through your blog!....Haha!

You will do just fine, it's not like you need to have the horse broke in 90 days. Take your time, and you will have a great horse sooner then you think!