Please, Please, Please don't try anything like what we did with your horse unless both you and your horse are ready. What we did takes a lot of trust on both parts - the simple fact is that any of the three of us could have been seriously hurt if our horses didn't trust us and/or weren't desensitized to having things wrapped around their legs.
As they say, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
So, if you want to try out the Million Dollar Idea, please:
- Do it when other people are present to help out
- Make sure your horse will stand still, either on the end of the rope or with the strap tied around their leg
- Make sure your horse doesn't panic if the strap slips or is difficult to untie
- I spent time with Estes just getting her used to the pressure along her leg and across her back before I even attempted (and failed) to use the strap
- Ranger's just a good dog, not much bothers him anymore, but the level of trust that Ranger has in Bill is astounding, so he'll go along with pretty much anything. If Ranger had been at all concerned, Bill would have backed off and continued to work with him until he wasn't worried any more.
- Washoe concerned me the most, but he doesn't care. I'm sure he thought it was a crazy game or something.