Friday, September 10, 2010

Estes' Feetsies


So here are some not very pretty pictures of Estes' feet.  Probably her shoulder problem is coming from the ground (as most of you were kind enough to point out).  She's in desperate need of a trim and I'm working on getting Mrs Mom out to Colorado to teach me how to trim her.


The fronts...


The backs...

Club foot (front right)





What do you think?  Besides the fact that her back right is in bad shape - are the heels constricting on her club foot?  I think I saw, and certainly smelled, some thrush.  Mrs Mom tells me that deep tissue thrush is common in clubby feet, so we're starting treatment for thrush.

Sorry I'm missing lateral views, as they didn't turn out well.  Next time I'm at the lodge I'll see if I can get some better lateral views.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I am terrible at diagnosing anything foot-related... but you have some knowledgeable horsie buddies on here & I look forward to their opinions.

Wish you could haul her out here to our awesome natural hoofcare practitioners!

Unknown said...

Ask mrs.mom!

Momma Fargo said...

I think Estes needs some great tenny runners or pig slippers. All better. LOL

Unknown said...

Georgia is just a short haul away... :)

Linda said...

She's way upright on that clubby front and back on her heel on the corresponding back foot--I guess that's some sort of compensation. It doesn't look like she's putting her full weight down on it. When I adopted Beautiful from the BLM, she was extremely clubby--much like your picture of Estes there in front, but I'm no expert. I've solely relied on my farrier and frequent trims.

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

My son has one with a club foot and she looks similar and has lameness issues too. You can't force the club foot to look right, it seemed to make the lameness worse. I would work on the deep tissue thrush. Look forward to hearing what the experts have to say as I am just beginning to learn about these things.

GunDiva said...

I'm awaiting Mrs Mom's arrow-y diagrams and treating her for thrush.

She's been barefoot for the two years I've owned her and would like to keep her that way. I was appalled at how long the toe is on her back right - I'd been so focused on her gimpy right fore that I didn't even think to look at the others. I'll be getting that trimmed up soon.

Thank you all for your input. It's nice to know that there are other clubby feet out there that have had the same issues, gives me hope that we can resolve this and I can have my mare back.

Funder said...

If you get a chance to take more pics, try getting some shots from ground level from the side. I can't see angles at all from the ones you've got.

Her feet aren't terrible. Should be easy to fix!