Sunday, January 7, 2018

Idiots

(Man, when I slack on blogging, I really slack. Sorry 'bout that.)

The cows moved back a few days ago and the horses were relatively calm about it. I thought it was a non-issue, because, hey, the cows move onto the corn field Every Single Winter. I figured the mustangeers had figured it out.

Today was an absolutely amazing day. While parts of the country are freezing, we're currently in the 40s. I had the whole day off, so I planned on climbing on Skeeter. I'm itching for a ride - have been dreaming about a ride.

Unfortunately, today is the day the horses decided to lose their minds over the cows. Apparently, this herd is very young and not terribly bright (the cows, not the horses in this case) and they've been out on the corn field but hadn't found the water sources yet. Their owner was concerned (rightfully so) and drove them to the water, which is where it always is, right at the edge of the property, near L.E.'s house.

This was the cause of much concern for the horses and their brains fell out their butts. They got plenty of exercise running, bucking, and farting.

Instead of the nice ride I had planned, I got some cute pictures and Skeeter and I worked on ground manners.

Skeeter says, "Move Copper! They're going to eat us!"

Copper is our cowardly lion :)

"Oh good, you're out front, they'll eat you first, Mom."

"Oh no, oh no, oh no, the steaks are going to come eat us! Much panic!"

"Well, maybe they won't eat us yet."
"I'll stand here and be nice, but I can't take my eyes off those moving steaks."
The horses were just riled up jerks for a while, so I retreated to the house. An hour or so later, I went back out with the curry comb and gave them all a good combing. They decided that it was okay to stand quietly at liberty while I combed away the itchy sweat.

I've got a busy week that will begin before sun-up, and end after sun-down, so my next potential opportunity to get a ride in is next weekend. Let's hope the weather holds.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I envy you the clear ground and 40. We are hitting 40 today, but there is a lot of ice and snow left.