Thursday, February 11, 2021

Skeeter's Gonna *Love* This!

My 50th birthday is coming up this year, and I've been trying to figure out what I want to do to commemorate it. I played around with a couple of ideas, but one of my Posse-mates did a horse photoshoot for hers and I fell in love with the idea. She and her horse were warriors and the pictures were so beautiful, I had to steal the idea.

I've been playing around with the idea of horse cosplay for a few years. Every now and then, I threaten to attempt something, but was kind of half-hearted about it. However, once I saw my friend's photos, I knew I had to do it.

I, like so many women my age, grew up with Wonder Woman. The recent movies have reminded me how much I really like her. But, I am no Gal Godot, and, I don't know, WW seemed too ... much? Like, hallowed ground I shouldn't tread on. But, her Aunt Antiope, now, she's a great warrior and horsewoman, so I decided to loosely base my cosplay on her.

Do I know anything about cosplay?

No.

Do I know anything about building horse armor?

Also no.

Do I want to torture my horse and make her go through this with me?

Yep.

Here's a bit of what her armor is supposed to look like, though I'm kind of anticipating a "Pinterest Fail" - at least at first.




I'm not crazy enough to take on learning medal work for this, so I'll be using EVA cosplay foam and I'll be tapping into Jay's artistic skills for hints on painting the armor. Skeeter is going to be my test subject for this. Despite being a mare, she's pretty good at letting me torture her, so I don't see that wearing the armor is going to be a problem.

The Pegasus wings on the other hand, well, she might have an opinion about those.

Wait? What? Pegasus wings?

Sometimes I can be a bit extra, and I know that, but from the moment I brought Skeeter home, I knew I wanted to make her into a Pegasus. As I was talking to Mrs. Mom last week, I lamented that while I really wanted to do a warrior photoshoot with Skeets, a small part of me also wanted to do a Pegasus one and I was having trouble deciding. As she's known to do, that sistah from another mistah, asked why I just didn't do both.

Huh.

Damn it. 

I don't have a good answer as to why I couldn't do both. I mean, I am already making a costume for both me and Skeeter. I already have to book a photographer for the day. Why not do a costume change as well?

Well, shit. Guess who, in less than ten seconds, decided it would be a good idea to tackle not one, but two, cosplays for herself and her horse?


The Pegasus is going to be a little more challenging, but I think I've found a method that might work. Mrs. Mom suggested using a surcingle to attach the wings, but I don't have one of those and I'm not paying for one just for a costume. But, I think I can use the idea of a surcingle, and just use an elastic band around her barrel to attach the wings to. Maybe. It works in my brain, let's hope it works on my horse.

Anyway, I'm certain Skeeter's gonna love her mom's latest hairbrained idea. <grin>

Stay tuned for updates.

(Human cosplay updates will be over at Another Perfect Day, but not beginning until May or so. I've still got some weight to lose before I start sewing costumes.)

6 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Oh how exciting!!! Can't wait. Oh and Happy 50th,the black birthday. Lol

Linda said...

Do you have a date for this? It sounds like a challenging project!

Shirley said...

Well that darn sure will keep you busy! Are you going to ride Skeeter with the wings on her? We want video!

GunDiva said...

@Linda, mid-July. Should give me plenty of time to get things figured out.
@Shirley, that's the plan! We'll need a lot more bareback practice, because I haven't figured out the wings and a saddle. At least, not my Western saddle. If, for some reason, bareback doesn't work out, I can probably borrow an English saddle, but I don't see any reason why I can't ride bareback.

Shirley said...

With a western saddle could you not have a strap that attaches to the top of the wing and loops around the saddle horn, another attachment that goes to the breast collar dee ring and another that goes to the latigo dees? The top one could attach to both wings so that it keeps them balanced




GunDiva said...

@Shirley - that's a thought! Thanks. If I can't get my other idea to work out, I'll give this a try!