Monday, August 29, 2011

We Have Poop

Hardly enough to write home about, but about fifteen minutes ago Queen Estes managed to poop a very small quantity.  Looks much more normal than the kitty litter yesterday.

Her belly's still grossly distended, but I can hear gut sounds just standing next to her.  The vet said she had large colon distension, which indicates a blockage.  I'm worried that we're moving stuff through her, only to add to the blockage in her large colon.

She'd been down and rolled during my three hour nap; I hope she stretched out and slept a little too.

Her second dose of banamine is wearing off and I didn't have the forethought to ask Compass for the vial so I could give her another dose if she needed it.  Instead, I managed to get half a dose of Bute down her - who knows if it will help her discomfort or not, but it made me feel better to do some sort of pain management.

I'm terribly worried about dehydration - she hasn't had anything to drink since I came up yesterday at 1:00 pm.  I offer it and she looks at me with the most pathetic eyes.  I'd love to give her IV fluids with some electrolytes, but at 4:00 am, none of the vet places are open.  Not that I know how to set an IV in a horse, but I bet that it's awfully similar to doing so in a human, which I can do.

Off to bed for another couple of hours before my next trip to the pen.

6 comments:

Allenspark Lodge said...

I found a 2nd, small but normal looking pile at 5:am. Go Estes!


Bill

Shirley said...

Still praying. Any poop is good news, and it's only horse people who say that!

Dreaming said...

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Rachel said...

Glad she is such a good patient - can you imagine trying to treat her if you didn't have the bond you do?

Praying for more piles!!

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

bring the piles on

Daisy said...

Am praying for poop! And that she'll start drinking water.