Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's Baaaaaaacccckkkk...

...and I can't get the stench off my hands our out of my nose.

Yep, it's my old nemesis, Thrush.

Poor Estee has thrush in three of her little feetsies and Washoe the Wonder Idiot's got it in one of his feetsies.

I knew it was coming.  With all of the moisture, between the rain/snow/rain/snow, the pen hasn't had a chance to dry out.  Estee's club foot just begs for thrush to grow.  So, after a thorough cleaning, I sent Mom after the hoof knife.  Which has grown legs.

I finally decide I can take the knife to Estee and it's no where to be found.  Hopefully it will turn up before next weekend so I can clean up her feetsies.

Other than the discovery of thrush and the fact that Washoe the Wonder Idiot stepped on Mom, not once, but twice (he was kind enough to balance it out and step on each foot), it was a pretty good horse day.  Mom and I got to go out for the first time this season together.  Of course, there are no pictures of the two of us, so you'll just have to  trust me on this one.

It wasn't a terribly long ride, only about an hour, but it was beautiful.  In the thirteen years we've been riding in the forest, we've never heard the frogs singing in the meadow.  With all of the moisture we've had, the meadow has a small marshy area and the frogs have moved in.  I always feel so blessed to hear them singing - it's so rare - and to have them in the meadow is such a treat.

I may be cursing the moisture on behalf of Estee's feetsies, but I love that the froggies are happy and singing at the top of their lungs about it.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

GAH - thrush is SO stubborn! You can imagine we deal with it with the moisture here too. So sorry.

Glad you got to ride and hear the froggies too though!

Allenspark Lodge said...

I can't remember the last time I was stepped on - it's been years, then twice in one day, and of course, by my gelding whose firm belief is that your foot is much softer than the ground so you need to hang out there for a while! I can now say that six of my ten toes are feeling slightly mushed. Fortunately, I wear boots all the time and nothing is broken - just embarrassed. And GunDiva is right; the frogs sounded wonderful!
Mom

Shirley said...

I'm the only one in my family who rides, so count your blessings that you have family to ride with. Must be nice.
I love hearing the frogs too, and so far even thought it's wet here too, no thrush yet.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I thought you were going to say the snow was back. LOL

GunDiva said...

Way to go BECG - according to Bill, it's now snowing. Thanks for cursing us :)

Once Upon an Equine said...

Aww, singing frogs; that would be a nice sound. I hope the Thrush clears up soon.

Dreaming said...

Hooray for frogs.
Bahhhh to the snow.
Yeechh to the thrush.
Yahoo to the ride.
Ouch - ouch to being stepped on!

Momma Fargo said...

Eck. Just hate that thrush. Damn birds. Oh wait...different stuff. Yeast infections. Did you try Monostat? Wait. Wrong again. Ugh. Poor horses.

Rising Rainbow said...

Geez, how frustrating! Hope you get it cleared up quickly.

I have been worried about thrush here since we've had such a wet year but so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues that way.

cdncowgirl said...

Last spring (our first living in the country) it was pretty wet and we heard the frogs a lot. This year we haven't heard them as much turbot rained a lot yesterday and they were singing like crazy. Kinda funny how much I had missed them